Exploding the Self-Esteem Myth [ Scientific American]
" Boosting people's sense of self-worth has become a national preoccupation. Yet surprisingly, research shows that such efforts are of little value in fostering academic progress or preventing undesirable behavior"
Just as I always suspected.
Things I learned from this article that I kind of already knew:
1) People with low self esteem are negative about everything.
2) I wasted my time at The University of Iowa
3) feeling good about yourself has no positive or negative effect on drug addiction, work performance, or acedemic performance.
4) Low self esteem is often misdiagnosed as depression. I'm here to tell you the two are separate entities. Really shitty entities.
5) It really shouldn't be anyone's job to promote and maintain the self esteem of others. That's totally up to them.
6) I liked self esteem better when it was called "arrogance"
"Before it is safe to conclude that high self-esteem leads to happiness, however, further research must address the shortcomings of the work that has been done so far."-[ibid]